The Brook : By Alfred Lord Tennyson

Class 7 : ENGLISH
3.4 THE BROOK

I come from haunts of coot and hern,
I make a sudden Sally
And sparkle out among the fern,
To bicker down a valley.

By thirty hills I hurry down,
Or slip between the ridges,
By twenty thorpes,a little town,
An half a hundred bridges.

Till last by Philip's farm I flow
To join the brimming river,
For men may come and men may go,
But I go on for ever.

I chatter over stony ways,
In little sharps and trebles,
I bubble in to eddying bays,
I babble on the pebbles.

With many a curve my banks I fret
By many a field and fallow,
And many a fairy foreland set
With willow-weed and mallow.

I chatter, chatter, as I flow
To join the brimming river,
For men may come and men may go,
But I go on for ever.

I wind about, and in and out,
With here a blossom sailing,
And here and there a lusty trout,
And here and there a grayling,

And here and there a foamy flake
Upon me, as I travel
With many a silvery waterbreak
Above the golden gravel,

And draw them all along , and flow
To join the brimming river
For men may come and men may go,
But I go on for ever.

I slip, I glide, I gloom, I glance,
Among my skimming swallows;
I make the netted sunbean dance
Against my sandy shallows.

I murmur under moon and stars
In brambly wilderness;
I linger by my shingly bars;
I loiter round my cresses;

And out again I curve and flow
To join the brimming river,
For men may come and men may go,
But I go on for ever.

From 'The Brook '
By Alfred Lord Tennyson

Meanings:
1. Haunt: a place that one visits often
2. Coot & hern: both are water birds
3. Fern: a flowerless plant which has feathery leaf
4. Bicker: flow or fall with a gentle repetitive noise; patter
5. Sally: attacking, a sudden attack
6. Sparkle: Shine brightly with flashes of light, glitter

7. Slip: slide, glide, fall over
8. Ridges: a long narrow hilltop
9. Thorpes: a village, hamlet

10. Last: final, end
11. Brimming: be full to the point of overflowing/ overflow

12. Chatter: talk about , chqt, gossip
13.sharp: music/ to a point or edge
14. Trebles: high tone of music
15. Eddying: move in a circular way,whirl,spiral
16. Babble: making murmuring sound

17. Fret: flow in a small stream and appear slowly
18. Fallow: uncultivated, unused
19. Foreland: border of a land
20. Willow-weed: both are wild plants
21. Mallow: wild plant

22. Wind: moving across the surface
23. Blossom: flowers
24. Sailing: to travel on water
25.lusty: healthy
26. Trout: edible fish
28. Grayling: edible fish in the freshwater

29.Waterbreak: a place in a brook where the surface of the water is broken by irregularities on the bottom
30. foamy:a mass of very small bubbles formed on the surface of water.
31. Flake: a small thin piece of something
32.Gravel: small rounded stones.

33. Draw; pull or drag so as to make it foll3behind.

34. Gloom: to move in dark places
35. Skimming swallows: swallows (birds) that touch the brook lightly and quickly as they fly over it.
36. Netted: like a net
37. Sunbean: ray of sunlight
38. Shallows: surface
39. Glance: hit something at an edge &:bounce off

40. Linger: spend a long time over.
41. Shingly bars: full of small round stones that cover the ground by the edge of a river.
42. Loiter: to move slowly
53.Cresses: a plant of cabbage family

3.4 THE BROOK
EXERCISE: PAGE NO. 70

Q. 1. Find the meaning of the following words or phrases.
Ridges, brimming, eddying, babble, fallow, trout, netted
Ans:
1.Ridges : a long narrow hilltop
2. Brimming: be full to the point of overflowing
3. Eddying: move in a circular way
4. Babble: make a continuous murmuring sound
5. Fallow: unplanted, uncultivated, unused
6. Trout: a brown fish that lives in rivers or lakes
7. Netted like a net pattern.

Q.2 Answer the following.
1. Who is the speaker in this poem?
Ans: The brook or the stream is the speaker in this poem.

2. Which lines are repeated in the poem ? What do the mean?
Ans: The following line is repeated in the poem.
The men may come and men may go.
Meaning: This line tells us that the life of human being is temporary but the life of the Brook is eternal unending.

3. Where does the brook join the river?
Ans: The brook joins the rivee by Philip's farm.

4. Mention the various places that the brook flows past.
Ans: The brook flows past the haunts of coot and fern ,the valley, hills, ridges,villages, bridges, Philip's farm, stony ways, eddying bays, fields and fallows and brambly wilderness.

5. Often the brook speaks of itself as if it is human.
For example, 'I bicker down a valley.'
Find two other examples of the human activities of the brook.
Ans:
1. I chatter over stony ways.
2. And murmur under moon and stars.

Q.4. Spot and write any three alliterative phrases or sentences from the poem.( Alliterative Phrases/ sentences are those in which the same sound is repeated.)
Ans:
1. By men may come and men may go.
2. I chatter, chatter, as I flow.
3. And here and there a lusty trout.
4. I slip, I slide, I gloom, I glance.

Q.5. List the preposition you find in this poem.
Ans: Following is the list of prepositions.
From, of, among, down, between, by, over,into, on, with, upon, above, for, against, under, round.

Q.6. List the phrases which have the expression ' many a .......'.
Ans:
1. Many a curve
2. Many a Field and fallow.
3. Many a fairyland.
4. Many a silvery waterbreak.

Q.7. The poet uses words to create pictures or 'images ' in the reader's mind.
For example, ' and sparkle out among the fern.'
Write down other lines that create images or pictures in your mind.(any 3)

Ans:
1. By thirty hills I hurry down.
2. I wind about, and in and out, with here a blossom sailing.
3. I make the netted sunbean dance against my sandy shallows.

Q. 8. Write a short autobiography of a Brook. ( 20 to 30 lines)
Ans.
I am a brook. I start flowing from the narrow hilltops.That was haunted by coot and hern. I don't know when I was born but I know the place from where do I flow.Its very narrow ridges of mountains.
As I start suddenly to flow from a valley, I start to make various noises. I cross lots of hills, villages, towns, bridges and farms.
Some time I flow very fast and sometimes I flow very slow with my curve banks I chats with those who meet me during my journey. For example people who drink my water,fish that swim carelessly,animals that roam inside me. I enjoy my journey but at last I meet to a overflowing river.And I become a part of the big river. After meeting ino the river I keep flowing hence I don't have end.I am eternal.

Q. 9. Which other things in nature can say.
' For men may come and men may go,
But I go on for ever.'

Ans. Hills, valleys can say it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Clasa 7: English : 4.4 Home Sweet Home

Class 9 Geography 6. The Properties of Sea Water:Questions and Answers

12.Tourism/Class 9 Grography/Maharashtra statr board Questions and answers